PDA

View Full Version : Creating a third partition

nitro
14th April 2006, 11:00 AM
Hi guys,

I just installed bootcamp and I was wondering if there is a way to split the mac os drive in 2, so you end up with a second HFS disk. Kind of like what the bootcamp assistant does for creating the Windows drive.

Tnx in advance

Tip
14th April 2006, 11:35 AM
believe it or not: This is an absolute nogo

JayMac
14th April 2006, 01:07 PM
Any tried this... after setting up the dual boot system clone the XP install using DRive Image XML. Then boot the mac in target disk mode and attach to a XP machine.

Then use XP's disk management to delete the XP partition on the mac and create a smaller XP partition and a Fat32 partition. Restore the XP install back to smaller partition.

If it works you would end up with a OSX , XP and dual use FAT32 partition.

I have NOT tired it wondering if anyone has any comments?

OmBreNoiRe
14th April 2006, 01:58 PM
I did it, and it's work great.
You have to install your os x on all the hd (make just 1 partition, max size).
Next you upgrade to the last version 10.4.6.
Install BootCamp BUT DON'T USE IT TO PARTITION YOUR DISK.
Next open a terminal and do :

sudo diskutil resizeVolume disk0s2 30G "Journaled HFS+" Perso 32.8G "MS-DOS FAT32" SystemXP 30G

With this example you make 3 partitions :
30 Go (your primary partition where you had install osx)
32.8 Go An other HFS partition (dont forget to make a newfs_hfs -v NameofyourVolume /dev/disk0s3)
30 Go For Windows

Be Careful :
In my example my HD is 100 Go (92.8Go), and it is disk0s2, normally it will be the same for you but check before (diskutil list)

The Windows partition must be the last one (and you can format it in NTFS without any problem).

Good Luck :)

Tip
14th April 2006, 03:53 PM
Any tried this... after setting up the dual boot system clone the XP install using DRive Image XML. Then boot the mac in target disk mode and attach to a XP machine.

Then use XP's disk management to delete the XP partition on the mac and create a smaller XP partition and a Fat32 partition. Restore the XP install back to smaller partition.

If it works you would end up with a OSX , XP and dual use FAT32 partition.

I have NOT tired it wondering if anyone has any comments?

I've tried this and some similar methods. They do not work! :D

JayMac
14th April 2006, 05:14 PM
I've tried this and some similar methods. THEY DO NOT WORK!

No need to shout Tip :(

Where does it fail, does XP Disc Mangagement not partition the internal disc, or not see it when connected in Target mode?

gFizzle
14th April 2006, 09:59 PM
Would it work to reinstal OS X and create one main HFS+ section and then a much smaller FAT32 sections? I think BootCamp only works with your main partition (the one with OS X)

I did this with XOM and it worked great.

Tip
14th April 2006, 10:47 PM
Where does it fail, does XP Disc Mangagement not partition the internal disc, or not see it when connected in Target mode?

If you change the partitions after Bootcamp has done its work
and than try an install of XP you will get the famous "hal.dll" missing error.
No workaround exists til now.
What the source of this kind of trouble is? I don't know. I just know that all tricks I tried don' work. Perhaps Bootcamp (the software) makes some hidden changes with the XP partion it creates and is aware of changes of this partition. So maybe Apple doesn't allow such kind of experiments for now (beta status).
But I would like to have a third partition (sparating data from OS an so on).
Maybe somebody wil find a way to do this despite Apples intentions.:o

JonM1827
14th April 2006, 11:35 PM
sudo diskutil resizeVolume disk0s2 30G "Journaled HFS+" Perso 32.8G "MS-DOS FAT32" SystemXP 30G

With this example you make 3 partitions :
30 Go (your primary partition where you had install osx)
32.8 Go An other HFS partition (dont forget to make a newfs_hfs -v NameofyourVolume /dev/disk0s3)
30 Go For Windows

as for the actual coding for doing this what is the "Perso" part... and what does / how do you do the part where you say dont froget to make a newfs_hfs... thing

Sorry for the stupid question's, and thanks in advance
-Jon

OmBreNoiRe
15th April 2006, 12:34 AM
as for the actual coding for doing this what is the "Perso" part... and what does / how do you do the part where you say dont froget to make a newfs_hfs... thing

Sorry for the stupid question's, and thanks in advance
-Jon

"Perso" is the name of my second hfs partition you can put what you want "mac2" or anything else.

For the newfs_hfs... thing it's doing in a terminal.

1- Install osx
2- Update
3- Install BootCamp
4- Partition with diskutil resizeVolume.......
5- REBOOT (I have forgotten to tell you that)
6- Install Windows
7- newsfs_hfs.... to use your new part

If you want you can go to the wiki and see "Triple booting", it's nearly the same for the diskutil resizeVolume thing.

Please fill free to ask me again if you want :)

diamondsw
15th April 2006, 03:15 AM
How many places can we seriously tell people not to use anything other than Disk Utility or diskutil on their drives? I've seen dozens of threads go by where people have used Windows Setup, Disk Management, parted, etc.

In all seriousness, how can we tell people up front NOT to do this?

Sp00k
16th April 2006, 12:48 PM
"Perso" is the name of my second hfs partition you can put what you want "mac2" or anything else.

For the newfs_hfs... thing it's doing in a terminal.

1- Install osx
2- Update
3- Install BootCamp
4- Partition with diskutil resizeVolume.......
5- REBOOT (I have forgotten to tell you that)
6- Install Windows
7- newsfs_hfs.... to use your new part

If you want you can go to the wiki and see "Triple booting", it's nearly the same for the diskutil resizeVolume thing.

Please fill free to ask me again if you want :)

Hello people (and sorry for my bad english ;))
Is it possible to make a third partition with the FAT32 filesystem? So I would like to have a data partition which can be acessed with OSX AND Windows.
Something like this:
30GB Windows System (NTFS)
30GB OSX System (HFS)
32GB Data Partition (FAT32)
Is this possible with BootCamp?
How should the resizeVolume command look like? Like this?:

sudo diskutil resizeVolume disk0s2 30G "MS-DOS FAT32" Data 32.8G "NTFS" SystemXP 30G

After that: Reboot, Install Windows, ... anything else?

Sorry for the stupid questions, I just want to make sure that I don't make any faults.

Thanks,
sp00k

OmBreNoiRe
17th April 2006, 10:15 PM
Hello people (and sorry for my bad english ;))
Is it possible to make a third partition with the FAT32 filesystem? So I would like to have a data partition which can be acessed with OSX AND Windows.
Something like this:
30GB Windows System (NTFS)
30GB OSX System (HFS)
32GB Data Partition (FAT32)
Is this possible with BootCamp?
How should the resizeVolume command look like? Like this?:

sudo diskutil resizeVolume disk0s2 30G "MS-DOS FAT32" Data 32.8G "NTFS" SystemXP 30G

After that: Reboot, Install Windows, ... anything else?

Sorry for the stupid questions, I just want to make sure that I don't make any faults.

Thanks,
sp00k

No you have to do :

sudo diskutil resizeVolume disk0s2 30G "Journaled HFS+" Data 30G "MS-DOS FAT32" SystemXP 32.8G

Then you can do as you said.

JonM1827
18th April 2006, 12:35 AM
No you have to do :

sudo diskutil resizeVolume disk0s2 30G "Journaled HFS+" Data 30G "MS-DOS FAT32" SystemXP 32.8G

Just so I can get this strait...
This makes a:
-30G Journaled HFS+ partition for OSX
-30G FAT-32 partition named Data
-32.8G partition named SystemXP, but what format is that in...

Or do I have it completely wrong?

-Jon

OmBreNoiRe
18th April 2006, 08:52 AM
Just so I can get this strait...
This makes a:
-30G Journaled HFS+ partition for OSX
-30G FAT-32 partition named Data
-32.8G partition named SystemXP, but what format is that in...

Or do I have it completely wrong?

-Jon

No you're a bit wrong :)

This will make :
-30G Journaled HFS+ partition
-30G Journaled HFS+ partition named Data
-32.8G FAT32 partition named SystemXP

"sudo diskutil resizeVolume disk0s2 30G "Journaled HFS+" Data 30G "MS-DOS FAT32" SystemXP 32.8G"

"resizeVolume disk0s2 30G" wil resize the primary partition at 30 G so you were right 30G Journaled HFS+ partition for OSX

""Journaled HFS+" Data 30G" will make a 30G HFS partition so you were wrong :) (and you have to format it with newfs_hfs)

"MS-DOS FAT32" SystemXP 32.8G" will make a 32.8 G partition in FAT 32 but you can also format it in NTFS during the installation of windows.

In fact, you mustn't give the type of partition for the first one because you are resizing it, so it's already existing in a defined format.

Sp00k
18th April 2006, 10:25 AM
No you have to do :

Thanks!
But that will make a Journaled HFS partition as Data partition?! Or am I wrong?
I would like a Data partition which can be accessed by Windows AND OSX, and I think a HFS formatted data partition can't be accessed under Windows XP.
Can't I do this?:
sudo diskutil resizeVolume disk0s2 30G "MS-DOS FAT32" Data 30G "MS-DOS FAT32" SystemXP 32.8G

Greetings,
sp00k

Tip
18th April 2006, 01:11 PM
Well - give it a try and tell us your results :D

Sp00k
18th April 2006, 01:33 PM
Well - give it a try and tell us your results :D
Hehe ;)
Yes I will try it - when I receive the Macbook.

OmBreNoiRe
18th April 2006, 07:48 PM
Thanks!
But that will make a Journaled HFS partition as Data partition?! Or am I wrong?
I would like a Data partition which can be accessed by Windows AND OSX, and I think a HFS formatted data partition can't be accessed under Windows XP.
Can't I do this?:
sudo diskutil resizeVolume disk0s2 30G "MS-DOS FAT32" Data 30G "MS-DOS FAT32" SystemXP 32.8G

Greetings,
sp00k

Yes you can.
For my case, I'm using mac drive 6.1 and it works well.

;)

rAph
18th April 2006, 11:57 PM
I already created an NTFS partition (30gb) with BootCamp and installed windows. OSX has the rest of the partition (60ish gigs). Can I use disk util to resize the HSF+ partition and create a new Fat32 partition? Would the command look like this:

sudo diskutil resizeVolume disk0s2 40G "Journaled HFS+" Data 20G "MS-DOS FAT32"

Thanks..

Sp00k
19th April 2006, 09:34 AM
@rAph:
Your syntax isn't correct (if I see this right):
I think it should look like this:
sudo diskutil resizeVolume disk0s2 40G "MS-DOS FAT32" Data 20G

But I don't know if this will work!!!

OmBreNoiRe
19th April 2006, 07:48 PM
@rAph:

Yes Sp00k you're right for the syntax and rAph you were wrong... But I don't know if you do that, in theory it can work but save your data before and tell us if you can try ;)

rAph
20th April 2006, 12:59 AM
@rAph:

I tried it out, and it messed up my Windows install... OSX drive was resized, and the 3rd partition was created, but Windows BSODS on startup. Oh well, at least it was a fresh install with nothing in it. Now how do I clear both these partitions? The Boot Camp Util won't start up and restore the volume to a single partition.

Shannon Hoon
25th April 2006, 07:27 AM
This method actually works!! I tried it on an iMac Core Duo without any problems, Windows XP runs fine and I can see the 3 partitions in both OSes. The only thing is that after doing the resize of the partition you can't run Bootcamp again (it says something about making it single partition or already partitioned by Bootcamp), so you better create a Drivers CD first (or you'll have to extract the image from the Bootcamp app.

iceminus
18th May 2006, 03:38 PM
Want to try and do similar to what has been mentioned in this post but am happy to just have the last partition as MS DOS. I wish to have more patitions tho, so say 30 for OSX, 40 for Audio, 10 for Projects, And rest for XP. Its mainley because i need seperate partitions for making music. Can anyone help with the script i need to type into terminal please? Bit confused with the text that creates new partitions, so the full script would help a lot.

Thanks

iceminus
18th May 2006, 03:40 PM
just wanted to say that the first 3 partitions can be HFS and dont need to be seen in windows.

Betamax
18th May 2006, 04:22 PM
iceminus: That's a no go. If you want windows to work, you can only have max 4 partitions per disk due to the limitations of the MBR partitioning scheme. Bootcamp reseves the first partition for it's own use, so most you can split you OSX partition into is three.

iceminus
18th May 2006, 04:53 PM
Thanks for replying, much appreciated.
I can i guess keep audio and projects together for the mean time and hope with leopard that the situation may change.

Any chance you could tell me what to type into terminal to have just the 3.

30G OSX
42.8G (Mac OS Extended)
20G MS DOS FAT 32

I know that some scripts have been posted before, but some peeps say they are wrong and some say they work etc so would be grateful of the exact script i need to type.

Also once that is done, do i insert XP disc and restart, then the windows install starts?

Thanks again my friend

HarryS
1st June 2006, 12:32 AM
I Tried to resize my HD using diskutil:
sudo diskutil resizeVolume disk0s2 74G "MS-DOS FAT-32" DATA 9G "MS-DOS FAT-32" System 9G.

But I always get the following error-message:
"Resizing encountered error The underlying task reported failure on exit (-9972) on disk disk0s2 Macintosh HD"

Any idea, what I´m doing wrong?

TIA
H