PDA

View Full Version : Wireless on iMac keeps disconnecting

harrisjamieh
23rd March 2006, 07:53 PM
I have a 17" iMac, and once booted into windows, it SOMETIMES auto logs onto my wireless network. When it does, it stays connected for 15 mins max, and then disconnects. When I try to reconnect (or try to connect after boot up due to non auto connection), the windows wireless utility thingy tries to connect, but then fails, and says unable to connect.

To get back onto the network, I have to reboot windows, and HOPE that it auto connects,a and even then it only works for a limited time.

Anyone have the same problem / know how to solve it?

Cheers

dmarkow
23rd March 2006, 08:24 PM
I have the same problem. It'll sometimes say "waiting for network" or something like that, but never actually connect.

Also, my internet connection is 9mbps line, yet the wireless seems to run MUCH slower (like i'm on a 768k line) under windows than it does under OS X.

chiefsalami
23rd March 2006, 11:44 PM
Few things to take a look at... first, of course, is to make sure you have the correct drivers installed and that you have followed the instructions in the wiki. Second, make sure that in the wireless device properties (I think the advanced tab), the IEEE option is unchecked. Leaving it on has caused some connectivity problems for me in the past. You might also want to assign a fixed IP address, sp it doesn't reconnect if another computer comes onto the network that might conflict.

I had the "waiting for network" error on a PC laptop, and it turned out the incorrect wireless drivers were chosen. Although the machine could see my networks, it could not connect to the 802.11g network because only 802.11b drivers were installed. Hence my first suggestion above.

Rayne
24th March 2006, 11:28 PM
I have a 17" iMac, and once booted into windows, it SOMETIMES auto logs onto my wireless network. When it does, it stays connected for 15 mins max, and then disconnects. When I try to reconnect (or try to connect after boot up due to non auto connection), the windows wireless utility thingy tries to connect, but then fails, and says unable to connect.

To get back onto the network, I have to reboot windows, and HOPE that it auto connects,a and even then it only works for a limited time.

Anyone have the same problem / know how to solve it?

Cheers
It could be the network you're connecting to. If its one of those dsl/cable modems with wireless built in, try turning it off and pulling out the plug for a few minute, and the, of course, turn it back on.

Make sure that wireless networks that you don't want to use are delected form you're prefered networks list.

If its is possible, turn off your wireless system for a few minutes, or for a few hours(if you're on your way to work or something) remember to let you're systems rest every now and then, otherwise they get sluggish and make mistakes