OnMac.net: Windows XP on Intel Macs

Go Back   OnMac.net Forums > Hardware Intensive > Gaming

Old 21st December 2006, 12:29 AM
The Quiet Type

Default New to PC Games. A little Help?

Hey people,

I've recently bought a 24" Mac G5. I've installed windows proffesional with no problems and am currently playing Half Life Holiday 2006 Collection. I've started at the beggining at (Half Life) The Source... "See what I did there" ... No, anyway what it is, is when I run the source everything is fine. Except for certain bits when I see a load of white line's (which so far only ocurrs when looking into water which has something moving within it) quite annoying to say the least. I know this is probably a simple issue but could anyone impart there wisdom upon me so that I may enjoy the Half Life series.

Mac stats:

Intel core 2
2.33 GHz
1.98 Ram
Nvidia GeForce 7600 GT

What do I need to do to enjoy most games competently? Thanks.

Last edited by daddyb : 21st December 2006 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11th May 2007, 03:38 AM
The Quiet Type

Have you installed the latest boot camp drivers? If not, download them at the apple website:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

and if you don't want to burn a cd again there is a feature in one of the menus when you're running the boot camp assistant to save the drivers to a folder. After that you can copy the folder directly over to your windows partition if its fat32 or copy it onto a usb stick or something if you don't want to waste a cd. (Or use a re-writable cd)

If you do have the latest drivers, then I don't know what the issue is, since the 24" iMac has a pretty powerful video card, which should already have drivers included with windows.
Old 11th May 2007, 01:26 PM

Huh... I just looked at the original post date. How did I not see this thread months ago?
Old 11th May 2007, 01:21 PM

I have the exact same system and video card, but I have not experienced the anomaly that you've described in any of the Half-Life series. I'm presently using the drivers from BootCamp 1.1, as I just haven't had the time to upgrade yet. I think DsurioN might well be pointing you in the right direction; even if you did install the current BootCamp drivers, it might be worth it to go check to see if the Nvidia drivers successfully loaded or not. (There should be a folder under Program Files containing all of your driver installers, so you don't need to go back to the CD for it.)

Other then that, perhaps there are some in-game settings that you could adjust, to optimize things? Along those lines: one of the first things I did after loading the Half-Life series was to match the resolution of the game to the native resolution of the iMac screen, 1920x1200... I don't know if that could have anything to do with your problem, but it makes all of the rendering absolutely crisp and beautiful.