OnMac.net: Windows XP on Intel Macs

Go Back   OnMac.net Forums > OS Discussion > Linux

Old 27th June 2008, 07:58 AM
The Quiet Type

Default Best for linux starters.

Hello there,

My cousin is very much interested in stating Linux. I think that he can start up with Debian. Whats your opinion? Is there anyother better one else..Thanks for any replies.
Old 27th June 2008, 08:08 PM
The Quiet Type

I personally think that Ubuntu would be the best for linux starters and also a lot of other linux users think so too... You can download it or request a cd for free. I had problems running Ubuntu after I downloaded it because it would not install. So I went ahead and requested a free cd, it worked great, but the worst case is that you would have to wait 4 to 6 weeks to have it delivered to your home. Here is the link: http://www.ubuntu.com/

Cheers.
Old 28th June 2008, 05:46 AM

I think that the packages have so many similarities, that the best way your cousin could make a decent decision would be by trying a few different distributions and comparing them for himself. One really good way to do that is by seeking out "Live CD" versions of different distros; these are versions of an OS which can be run entirely from a CD without requiring any modifications to the computer. You don't necessarily see the best performance this way, but it's a very good no-risk way of getting your feet wet with Linux... and then once your cousin finds a distro that most suits his needs/desires, he can go ahead and install that one to the harddrive.