OnMac.net: Windows XP on Intel Macs

Go Back   OnMac.net Forums > Alternative OSes on Apple Hardware > Boot Camp

Old 19th January 2009, 02:29 AM
The Quiet Type

Wow such awesome directions. I've been wanting to do something like this for a long time (at least since I got my MacBook back in December of 2007).

I should soon be receiving a 500 GB HDD (hoping for tomorrow, my 25th birthday, or Tuesday) that will be replacing the currently installed OEM 120 GB HDD in my MacBook, and I'd like to play with some OSes since I'll have the room.

Here's how I'd like it (billbear or anyone else feel free to fix compatible partition order)

-Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard (Mostly 64 bit, other than Finder)
-Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (64 bit)
-Gentoo Linux with kernel 2.26.6+ (64 bit)

Before you read on, I'd like to say that I'm going all 64 bit OSes because I want all 4GB of my RAM to be used and taken advantage of. I don't want Windows XP 32 bit to only use 2.96 GB (~3 GB) of my RAM.

Okay so.....

1. I am first going to try to use the OS X installer's Disk Utility to make 3 partitions, and then install OS X.

2. After that I'm going to install Vista, and its drivers (the 64 bit Mac Pro drivers work with 64 bit Vista, even on a non Mac Pro like mine.. I have an update on disc for my graphics chipset).

3. Then I'm going to install Gentoo Linux and have it build a 64 bit kernel. So far it seems straightforward, right? Well, There's one thing I'm foggy about:

Gentoo Linux's installer has no GUI (unless the Live CDs do?). What partition would I need to tell the Gentoo Minimal Install CD to access and alter without hosing the [hopefully working] OS X and Vista?

For example, /dev/hda3?

Also, one last thing. If I decide to not install Vista onto a physical partition and install Gentoo and OS X on two partitions, how would that be done?

Thanks and keep up the good work,
Shiggity

Last edited by Shiggity : 19th January 2009 at 03:30 AM. Reason: Added detailed questions pertaining to task at hand...
Old 21st January 2009, 06:38 AM
Should be dual-booting by now.

"/dev/hda3?"

i think it should be /dev/hda4 since apple creates a 200M small EFI protected partition.

i have never installed Gentoo on my macbook, please share your experience
Old 21st January 2009, 06:49 AM
Should be dual-booting by now.

If you want different icons for vista and xp shown in the rEFIt menu, here are vista icons. Just unzip and copy os_winvista.icns and boot_winvista.icns to /efi/refit/icons/
Attached Files
File Type: zip vista.icns.zip (376.6 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by billbear : 21st January 2009 at 08:03 AM.