OnMac.net: Windows XP on Intel Macs

Go Back   OnMac.net Forums > Alternative OSes on Apple Hardware > XOM - The open source solution
View Poll Results: Should there be a cash reward for ATI Drivers
Yes 156 60.23%
No 103 39.77%
Voters: 259. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21st March 2006, 12:14 AM
Head Honcho

Send a message via ICQ to sud0n1m Send a message via AIM to sud0n1m Send a message via MSN to sud0n1m
Question Should there be prizes for drivers?

After a lack of progress with the ATI Drivers, I decided to post a $1000 reward. It seems some people dont want to reward developers to come up with the goods. Lets make this a democracy.

If people dont want to have prizes for drivers, I will remove the prize and wont do it again!

If you do, you will likely see cash rewards for different functionality on each of the systems.

Wiki page is now unlocked
http://wiki.onmac.net/index.php/Deve.../X1600_Contest

Colin

Last edited by sud0n1m : 23rd March 2006 at 06:09 PM.
Old 21st March 2006, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to RujusMacBook Send a message via Yahoo to RujusMacBook

In the spirit of community and capitalism working together (pronounced XOM.efi), I say we reward those that work as hard as they do.
Old 21st March 2006, 12:24 AM
The Quiet Type

well the concern is that people will with hold releasing information and drivers in the hopes that more money can be raised.

Now that can be fixed with a contest limit liek the 1K.

But also people are concerned it will slow down information sharing, kinda like the original contest did.
Old 21st March 2006, 12:27 AM
The Quiet Type

Sud0n1m:

Quote: "It seems some people dont want to reward developers to come up with the goods"

I think you know that is nothing to do with it...........
Old 21st March 2006, 12:28 AM
Should be dual-booting by now.

I think putting a cap on the prize makes more sense.

That way its not a matter of holding out for "more" money.

If theres a single prize and not a pool that builds, i think it won't have an adverse affect on the solution. Besides, it gives more incentive!
Old 21st March 2006, 12:28 AM
The Quiet Type

The thing is, if a reward is given, it'll slow down progress. So I say NO, don't give money for drivers, or we won't see a driver until the contest's over!
Old 21st March 2006, 12:30 AM
The Quiet Type

The original solution slowed down? It took barely over 1 month from the time intel macs were shiped to when a nice clean solution was found to boot XP. Nor did anyone else really step up afterwards with a close partial solution. I don't see that as the contest having hampered efforts at all. On the contrary, I saw it as an incentive for smart people to tackle a hard problem, and to really try to solve it.

Its easy to keep pushing refresh on the forums and cry for a solution to get done faster.

Its another to dedicate all your free time fiddling with obscure code, and risk bricking your brand new expensive toy.

Edit: Also, no one is forcing anyone to participate in the contest. If you want to release your findings openly, go for it. If you don't want to support those developers who choose to develop in private, then don't donate money. It's the height of arrogance from the part of one won't donate any money to try and stop others.

Last edited by raduma : 21st March 2006 at 12:34 AM.
Old 21st March 2006, 12:33 AM
Should be dual-booting by now.

Colin, I really dont know, I see both sides of the coin. Contest motivates the community, but also limits sharing information.

I think you need to talk to narf or blanka about it first, and get some insight as to what needs to be done to get video to work. I personally feel if it was easy as putting a certain file.driver somewhere, they would have done that rather than write the XOM driver that they did. (I am also considering the fact that the mini was not a factor in their development, as it came out so late in the process)
________
INNOVA

Last edited by RichP : 26th February 2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old 21st March 2006, 12:39 AM
The Quiet Type

raduma , That may be true to an extent, but a point in return.

Considering the nature of this problem, and the amount of possible options : There are billions of official drivers out there, driver modifiers, 3rd party drivers, such as DNA and omega, registery tweaks, there is so may things to be tried that a community based effort will get this fixed much faster.

The bootup contest was different in that the problem was far less accessable to the average tech user as it required intense programming experience to deal with. This problem is different in that it may well end up relying on trial an error, or the right user stumbling on the right registery tweak, driver upgrade or install method, Somthing the average user is far more capable of than hacking the EFI!

Add that to the fact that those with the skills are still likly to work their butts off, as they want to be able to dual boot, play HL2, etc! And at least this way they can run the problems they encounter past the forum members. That should help offset any less incentive caused by the lack of a cash prize!!

Last edited by gizzymo : 21st March 2006 at 12:42 AM.
Old 21st March 2006, 12:52 AM
The Quiet Type

A few things.

1. We don't know what the solution will involve. We can guess and speculate, but still not know. A lot of people speculated about the original boot problem. Many "this is how its gonna work" posts and articles. None really panned out. Some articles actually had the right idea about "we're gonna have to do it the hard way and write a CSM", but even then there was a big distance from knowing what to do and actually doing it. It could very well be that to get the drivers working more code will have to be added to the existing solution. On the PC at least, a lot of functionality on the ATI chips is controlled by the drivers through the video BIOS, which at the moment doesn't exist. On the other hand, maybe the current drivers just need a tweak in the inf file and off we go. The point remains that we don't really know for certain what needs to be done. If we did, and it was simple, someone would have done it already.

2. I still don't see how its anyones bussiness whether or not some people choose to participate in the contest or not. If you don't want to be affiliated with it, release your work openly. You don't want to support the developers who like some monetary incentive, then don't donate any money. I fail to see how anyone would have the right to actively try to prevent the contest all together.