OnMac.net: Windows XP on Intel Macs

Go Back   OnMac.net Forums > Alternative OSes on Apple Hardware > Boot Camp

Old 8th April 2006, 03:55 AM
Head Honcho

Send a message via ICQ to sud0n1m Send a message via AIM to sud0n1m Send a message via MSN to sud0n1m
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkhead
Bootcamp is a limited beta because at WWDC in June apple is going to announce that they have partnered with Xen to replace the Mach hardware abstraction layer. (Which is a very, very good thing) Apple will preview running multiple OSes concurrently, in different windows, and also in virtualdesktops (much like fast user switching)
Thats what I have been saying. I predicted it by 10.6, but if it is in there sooner, all the better!
Old 8th April 2006, 04:24 AM
The Quiet Type

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiliconAddict
You can go ahead with your own implementation. I’m all good with that. But many of us would rather stick with an officially supported implementation that virtually guarantee’s that anything Apple releases in the future won’t dick up Windows. More then anything else it sounds like you’ve just pissed that Apple release a solution. Not sure if this is the case or not but it sure sounds that way. It sounds like a pep-rally. A battle cry: don’t forget us! We are still relevant!
As the original poster I guess I should let you know that I have nothing to do with XOM development. I am not part of the project at all, so it really isn't about me being "pissed" that apple released a solution (infact, I am using boot camp installed XP right now). And its definetly not a "battle cry: don't forget us!" - because I am not part of the "us".

As far as the time limit is concerned, it has been clearly pointed out by a lot of people that boot camp is valid through the end of september and/or till the next osX comes out... so I was basically off the mark on that, and its really a non issue.

But yes, I suppose it was "pep-rally" of sorts - not that the people who have been deeply involved with the project need me to encourage them (if anything, judging from this thread, it has completely backfired anyway). Not sure what is up with all the XOM haters?

At the end of the day, I can't predict the future and tell anyone specificly why continued devleopment of XOM is a good thing, but I have feeling that it is. Obviously a lot of people disagree, but I am sticking to my guns. I think that XOM is a worthwhile project and should continue.
Old 12th April 2006, 06:07 AM
The Quiet Type

i guess now the guys here in onmac should put up the contest to come up with drivers for the isight and others that dont work first rather than the display adapter since the ATI provided one and the apple provided one work fine.
Old 12th April 2006, 10:51 PM
The Quiet Type

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthOverlord
Does this mean if you are sitting behind a firewall (off your router), you will get infected running SP1? Or do you have to be DMZ'd on the net?
If you are behind a firewall you're probably fine, as long as:
a) your firewall blocks the relevant ports, or provides NAT (if your IP is 192.168.xxx.xxx)

b) No local machine on your network is infected with anything nasty
Old 12th April 2006, 11:30 PM
Head Honcho

Send a message via ICQ to sud0n1m Send a message via AIM to sud0n1m Send a message via MSN to sud0n1m

Quote:
Originally Posted by prethip
i guess now the guys here in onmac should put up the contest to come up with drivers for the isight and others that dont work first rather than the display adapter since the ATI provided one and the apple provided one work fine.
Hmmm... for some reason that didnt cross my mind. However, I think that drivers for the iSight are not really going to be that inspiring to people. I would love them, but most people probably couldn't care a less. The remote would be cool. I have a work in progress on the wiki for my Mac Mini. I would really like not having to buy an additional media center remote and be able to use my Harmony with the built in IR receiver. Still, all of these drivers would be nice, but are not that exciting, and my guess is that in time, Apple will do this. If others disagree, I would love to hear it.
Old 13th April 2006, 12:30 AM
Should be dual-booting by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sud0n1m
Hmmm... for some reason that didnt cross my mind. However, I think that drivers for the iSight are not really going to be that inspiring to people. I would love them, but most people probably couldn't care a less. The remote would be cool. I have a work in progress on the wiki for my Mac Mini. I would really like not having to buy an additional media center remote and be able to use my Harmony with the built in IR receiver. Still, all of these drivers would be nice, but are not that exciting, and my guess is that in time, Apple will do this. If others disagree, I would love to hear it.
First and foremost, I think the whole driver section on the Wiki and on this forum should become a section of its own, since all drivers but the video driver apply for both solutions (XOM and Apple's firmware update). The tabs representing XOM, BootCamp and Parallells Workstation would then only contain general/relevant bootloader information...

As it is currently, it's confusing to me at least that all driver information is organized in such a way that it only relates to XOM. On the main Wiki page, below the section with the three bootloaders/solutions there could be a separate driver section with "Windows drivers for Mac" and "Linux drivers for Mac" tabs. Just an idea, at least, how to organize things better...

As for possible new driver competitions, maybe it would be better to wait at least just a little while longer to see whether Apple intends on releasing any driver updates in the near future. If they do, then such a competition would be of little value. OTOH, we can only guess what Apple's plans are, I don't know if they release such information to the public, considering it's an unsupported beta product. But there definitely are things that need to be fixed, especially the sound issue...
Old 15th April 2006, 10:31 PM
The Quiet Type

I for one would love iSight drivers...I am not sure if I'm the only one but for some reason I don't think Apple is working on this. It's part of making the Mac running Windows feel just a *little bit* crippled I think. 500 USD might be enough to motivate someone to figure it out.
Old 15th April 2006, 11:19 PM
Should be dual-booting by now.

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcompany
I for one would love iSight drivers...I am not sure if I'm the only one but for some reason I don't think Apple is working on this. It's part of making the Mac running Windows feel just a *little bit* crippled I think. 500 USD might be enough to motivate someone to figure it out.
On second thought, you are most probably right, because in the official Boot Camp FAQ Apple uses the terms "currently not supported" on some driver issues while on most other they simply say "expect not to work". That gives a clear sign on what they themselves see as an issue (and therefore may work on a fix) and what they don't see as an issue:

Are there any Macintosh features that I should not expect to work when running Windows XP on an Intel-based Macintosh computer?

Even after installling the Macintosh Drivers CD, the Apple Remote Control (IR), Apple Wireless (Bluetooth) keyboard or mouse, Apple USB Modem, MacBook Pro's sudden motion sensor, MacBook Pro's ambient light sensor, and built-in iSight camera will not function correctly when running Windows.

While booted into Windows XP, I still hear sound coming from the built-in speaker even with headphones plugged in.

The Boot Camp Beta audio driver for Windows XP does not currently support rerouting sound.

I can't use my Apple keyboard to make the Euro symbol to appear in Windows XP.

Currently, Boot Camp Beta does not allow an Apple keyboard to type a Euro symbol in Windows XP. Consider pasting the symbol from a different document instead.

So, going by Apple's terminology these following driver issues are Macintosh-specific features that one should not expect to work in Windows:

* Apple Remote Control (IR)
* Apple Wireless (Bluetooth) keyboard or mouse
* Apple USB Modem
* MacBook Pro's sudden motion sensor
* MacBook Pro's ambient light sensor
* Built-in iSight camera

These are features not currently supported:

* Certain Apple keyboard characters/keys
* Fully working sound driver

I agree, especially after having paid attention to the terminology in the FAQ, that it's very likely that Apple will want to keep certain "cool" Mac features MacOS-only, like the iSight camera and backlit keyboard. Even if they didn't, it would be hard to see the motivation for Apple to go the extra mile to write drivers for these special features. I also agree that by not releasing any Mac-specific drivers Apple would make sure that MacOS even with this dual-boot option keeps an edge over Windows, if not by performance then at least by coolness factor...

So, I'll reverse my earlier standpoint and agree that a competition is necessary, IMO especially for the iSight, MBP trackpad (tapping/scrolling), MBP ambient light sensor (keyboard/screen) and MBP motion sensor (HDD). The Apple peripherals are not really a big deal as there are lots of standard PC peripherals that can be bought instead. As for the sound, it already works somewhat with the two drivers that are available and may be fixed completely with a new driver by Apple themselves...

So let's bring on the competition

Last edited by bgd : 15th April 2006 at 11:21 PM.